Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sense of Sight : Photography Exhibition

Last month, I got a call from a friend asking me if I do modeling job. Are you kidding me?? I thought it he was just making a funny hi-hello-kumusta intro and maybe just looking for a design-related help. Apparently he was serious: He was looking for a 16-year old female for his photography project. This has got to be a joke.

Of course I couldn't say yes. I mean I would put shame to his project if I would look my age and the fact that I was lying about my age might get me into trouble!

I soon found out that this is going to be for an exhibition/competition for Moorfields Eye Hospital Dubai and Dubai Community Theatre and Arts Centre (DUCTAC) to support and creatively challenge local artistic talent and to promote the importance of regular eye screening.

Pretty cool eh? SENSE OF SIGHT as it is called.
3 - 24 February 2010

And so Kahlil gave me his vision:

"To go about this, I'd have a loose narrative about a woman in her thirties who creates a photo album about her older sister's life spanning 20 years. To create these pictures in her mind, she will have to rely on her memories about her sister and how the world looked like when she was still able to see. In effect, the sister will have grown up from teenager to adult without looking any older than how the woman remembers her. Also, the world will become more and more colorful as the years pass on as the woman's memories fail her and her imagination fill in the gaps."

With that idea, I just had to do it. It was clever and I can imagine the creativity unfolding. Besides, I then realized, it wasn't really about me being 16 years old and deceiving the viewers - it was me being part of something unique and exciting.

The session was easy. Well you know, I didn't wear any makeup and my hair's not in it's proper manners - so it looks like I'm very raw. We finished shooting within two saturdays and I sure hope I pulled it altogether. I hope the photographer, one of my most admired shutterbugs, did not regret in taking me. It was all fun and all good having friends come over our home.

Lastly, I hope he wins! Go Kahlil!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails